Saturday 21 June 2014

Cinema Experience of The Fault In Our Stars (2014)

The Fault In Our Stars being my absolute favourite book, I arrived at the cinema today with relatively low expectations. I thought they wouldn't be able to do it justice - and I must admit that part of this idea came from the fact that John Green wasn't able to direct it himself, as he is about to do for the movie adaptation of Paper Towns. I also wasn't entirely happy with the casting. After seeing the trailers, it almost seemed to be a universal opinion that Ansel, in particular, did not remind us, the book readers, of Augustus. He doesn't look like the character we fell in love with. But, despite this, I have to say, he completely won me around, and I'm sure I'm not alone there.

Ansel was everything Augustus was written to be: cheeky and cocky but also loving, concerned and gentle. Shailene was brilliant too; the scenes in which she had to break down and provoke or show emotion were beautifully executed and performed; they made the film. But, I don't know, she still doesn't remind me of Hazel. We only get to see a couple of her many layers - the audience doesn't see much of Hazel's unwavering inner strength. Sure, you see her climbing ladders whilst finding it almost impossible to breathe which is a feat in itself but you don't get to hear her monologue... you can't read her mind. When I read the book I learnt a lot about not fearing death through Hazel, but sadly for whatever reason the director must have spent most of his time on conducting romance as opposed to showing strength.

Although the director did a good job in terms of meeting the needs of stereotypical popular cinema for teenagers, there were some fatal flaws for fans of the book. Something that really bothered me in particular was the fact that Augustus' ex-girlfriend (who died of cancer before he met Hazel) was never mentioned, at all, possibly in attempt to make Hazel seem like the only girl that Augustus ever loved. To maybe over-romanticise their relationship to appeal to some, more naïve teenage girls. The reason this is fatal, for me, is that I considered Augustus' past relationship a huge part of his characterisation. It is true that, in a way, I disliked his character a little more at first because Hazel was not his one and only, but it is an important part of who Augustus is/was. The point is to grow to love him despite his hidden past and deliberate flaws, like Hazel does. We (if you read the book) learnt a lot through his ex-girlfriend's death (specifically through her Facebook wall) with regards to how most people react online when a person dies. This valuable information, this lesson, is not spread via the movie and is just another reason why you should read the book. It's a shame because a movie would have been a perfect platform to share those opinions on public reactions.

However, there has to be something said about a movie which can move you and reduce you to tears even when you know what's coming. My sister was in floods, I had a little cry, and my friend Josh went very quiet for a long while after it had finished. The girls in the cinema were inconsolable - to the point where I couldn't hear the film at times. This is why I recommend YOU WAIT until the DVD is released, or until you can view it on Netflix or Now TV. Perk 1) you get to cry in solitude, in the privacy of your own home... so less public embarrassment. Perk 2) no sobbing girls which somewhat ruin your cinema experience. Overall, it was an amazing adaptation and quite a nice - albeit, loud - atmosphere. Shailene's acting was truly second to none, Ansel made a perfect Augustus; all you have to do is ignore the rest of the audience, and the omitted storylines, and you'll be pretty happy with it. Genuinely. Expect to fall in love again. For another great review of the movie, check out my friend Keisha's blog >HERE<.

Rating: ★★★ 1/2



No comments:

Post a Comment