Monday 14 July 2014

J. D. Salinger: "The Catcher In The Rye" // Review

So today I'm tackling a book review of J.D. Salinger's The Catcher In The Rye, which worries me considering it's such a well-loved book. Truth be told, I hated it. Really hated it. Honestly, I would not flinch if someone were to set my copy on fire.



I had been recommended this book by pretty much every single person in my English Lit class, and seemed to see the gorgeous cover (as seen above) everywhere. Not only it would be good preparation for my comparitive coursework next year, it was completely enticing. Whilst reading the first page, I was hopeful. It seemed like a book I was going to like. Then, I got to the second. All I can say is, thank God it was such a short novel because the hours... my, did they drag. I lost a tiny bit of respect for everyone who'd bothered to recommend it to me, to be honest. The main character, despite the insistence of just about everybody in the real world, is so unlikeable. He's repetitive, he's weird, selfish, arrogant, annoying... the list goes on. If I hear "it really is," "you really are," or anything similar for the next week or so, I think I'll just weep.

For those of you who don't know, The Catcher In The Rye is the story of a troublesome, young, American boy named Holden, who seems to spend the majority of his formative years getting kicked out of schools; mainly just for flunking. When he learns he's being kicked out again, he decides to leave before the end of term and gallivant around New York, although nothing really happens. Despite his situation there's nothing badass or even endearing about Holden; in fact, I think I preferred his younger sister. Nope, I definitely prefer his little sister. She's more bad-ass than Holden.

If you're thinking about picking up this book (and I implore you not to) bare in mind that you'll either love it or hate it. Although I consider it to be one of the worst books I've ever read, you might like it - if you don't mind the absence of a plot. Not worth your time at all.

Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆ (One star at a push.)

To keep up with what I'm reading, add me on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/meaghanbethany

No comments:

Post a Comment