Monday 21 July 2014

Lauren Oliver: "Delirium" // Review



"They say that the cure for love will make me happy and safe forever. And I've always believed them. Until now. Now everything has changed. Now, I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years suffocated by a lie. There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it. Then, at last, they found the cure."

I picked Delirium up on a trip to the library last week, after finding virtually nothing else in the fiction cabinet that I was interested in. A cure for love? Hell yeah, that's interesting. My love of dystopian novels is no secret.

Our narrator is a 17 year old girl called Magdalena, or Lena, who, like everyone else in Portland, America, must have the compulsory operation (which includes cutting out part of the brain) to rid herself of the deliria. The deliria is love in any sense, romantic or pure - the love you feel for your family as much as love for a partner. All love must be exterminated, as "the deadliest of all deadly things". 

Lena's operation is set for her 18th birthday, and at first she welcomes 'the cure'; as she hopes it will lessen the grief she feels at the thought of her mother's alleged suicide. Lena's dad is gone, too, having been taken by cancer prior to her mother's death. Lena's sister Rachel has already undergone the operation - has forgotten all about the tenderness of her first love, who she was torn from, and living an adequate yet emotionless life as the wife of another man. Lena herself will be matched to an appropriate suitor before long. But, as the preparations begin, Lena's best friend Hana starts acting strangely, starts getting into illegal activity such as mingling with boys and staying out past curfew. When Lena follows her to a party one day... will something or someone turn her against 'the cure'? And is the Government really protecting its people?

OH MY GOD, THIS BOOK. It was everything I wanted it to be. Alex was such a sweetheart! I cried so hard when he and Lena fell in love. I don't know why I cry at all the happy bits; I mean, I would have cried at the ending but I guess I was too disappointed to. What's amazing about this book is your emotions are manipulated to reflect the characters', in the end. It's both heartwarming and heartbreaking at all the right times. A rollercoaster ride of deceit, love, and loss. PICK IT UP. I cannot wait to read the next one in the series: Pandemonium.

Rating: ★★★★★

Thanks for taking the time to read! Feel free to add me on Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/meaghanbethany

No comments:

Post a Comment